CAMPSITE # 11 - Bendeela Reserve

Not too far from Berry stood Kangaroo Valley. As we drove along the winding mountainside roads towards the valley, we stumbled across the most peculiar thing. Sat amongst the rainforests alongside a road where you were lucky to pass 2 cars in your entire trip stood a fridge. A fridge FULL of fudge. Not just your every day run of the mill fudge but the most tasty delicious fudge in the history of mankind. Luckily, we were able to scrape together $3 in coins to treat ourselves to a “Chocolate M&Ms” bar of fudge. I jumped out of the drivers seat, ran straight to the fridge with flask in hand, filled it up with a nice long glass of icy cold milk and sat in pure happiness while indulging myself in the most amazing thing. It’s funny when you don’t have treat like these available to you on an everyday basis how much you enjoy them even more when you just have that special one, or in my case... half of one.
4kms from Kangaroo Valley was Bendeela Reserve. The gods weren’t being kind to us, once again and we were blessed with MORE H20. It’s ok though cause we have this system down pat... Tom puts his rain jacket on and goes for a madmans explore and I lie in the comfort & warmth of the cabin working on my new money making scheme in the friendship bands.

The experience over the next few hours was a very first for both Tom & I. We managed to be lucky enough to get up close & personal with a real life wild wombat... during full daylight. We thought we were so lucky to be able to lay our very own eyes on something, that we thought to be so unique & extraordinary... little did we know what lay ahead.
As the sun went down, the wombats came out to play. We took an evening stroll to the toilet blocks and on our route back, we counted a total of 15 wombats roaming the campsite in search for their meal.

After our meal, I put some custard and fruit cake on the stove to heat up for a nice warming dessert. As I was crouched down to the ground, busily stirring the meal and plotting which bowls were clean and ready for me to tip our lovely dessert into, I glanced up as Tom called my name and then felt a presence hovering over my stove. A wombat and I came face to face, I let out a little girly squeal as I jumped completely out of my skin and the poor thing plonked its head down and scurried off into the bushes.

Tom is still laughing to this day, apparently it was the funniest face he’d ever seen me pull.
No longer do wombats just eats roots and leaves, this one wanted to stick around for dessert!!!

No comments: